Are you looking for good hotels in Cagliari? Look no further!
If you are planning a holiday in Cagliari, you will be happy to know that the capital city of Sardinia offers travelers incredible experiences, from art museums to flamingos! When visiting the sun-soaked Italian island of Sardinia, it can be challenging to choose where to stay in the capital city. That’s why I’m here! I’m a local, and I’m happy to share my knowledge of the best hotels in Cagliari. While Sardinia doesn’t have many big, name-brand hotels, there is a bevy of smaller boutique hotels that cover the spectrum from posh to cozy to budget-friendly.
Use my guide to choose your hotels in Cagliari match made in heaven. These are the best hotels in Cagliari, and all offer you the perfect pillow for a vacation to remember!
Would you rather stay in an Airbnb? Check out my post The Best Airbnbs In Cagliari.
- Choosing The Best Hotels in Cagliari
- My Recommendations for the Overall Nicest Hotels in Cagliari — My Top Three Choices
- The Nicest Hotels in Cagliari According to Neighborhood and Interests
- Where to Stay in Cagliari for History Lovers – Castello District
- Where to Stay in Cagliari for Nightlife Lovers & Foodies – La Marina
- Where to Stay in Cagliari for a Blend of History & Nightlife– Stampace
- Where to Stay in Cagliari for Families – Villanova
- Where to Stay in Cagliari for Nature Lovers – Poetto
- Further readings about Cagliari
- Pin It For Later!
Choosing The Best Hotels in Cagliari
When choosing the best hotels in any city, it’s always best to ask a local. Of course, consulting megalithic websites like TripAdvisor comes in handy, but what’s better than having a true insider’s opinion? I’m Claudia, and I’m a local! I grew up in Cagliari, and even though I’ve spent over a decade traveling, my true home is here. It’s where I grew up, and it’s where I belong.
Today, I have my own small place in Cagliari. Whenever my friends and family visit, I usually can’t host them at my home because it’s so small (I am actually looking for a bigger place as I write!). I’ve had to hunt through all the hotels in Cagliari to find the best ones to suit their style, vibes, and group size. Factoring in their budget is always a consideration, too.
Therefore, I’ve done my fair share of hunting for hotels in Cagliari. I’ve dug deep, phoned many friends, and been out and toured the places myself. Plus, over the years as friends and family have come and gone, I’ve gotten the chance to check out a lot of the hotels myself. I’m eager to share with you all my insider tips on the nicest hotels in Cagliari to help you decide on the perfect place to stay.
In this post, I will shine a spotlight on the best hotels in Cagliari and will separate them by areas, interest, and budget. To be clear, there are four main historical districts in Cagliari that I’ll cover and one that sits outside the center. These four main districts—Castello, La Marina, Villanova, and Stampace—do sit snugly around the city center and are all well-connected to each other.
The last district that I’ll discuss, Poetto, resides fairly well outside of the city center. However, it allows you easy access to many of Cagliari’s natural attractions, including the beach and the nature reserve of Molentargius. Poetto is truly a lovely area to stay, albeit a little farther outside of the city.
Ready to find your hotel match made in heaven? Let’s get right to covering the best Cagliari accommodation options.
Would you rather stay in an Airbnb? Check out my post The Best Airbnbs In Cagliari.
Are you unsure where to start in your exploration? Check out one of these guided tours of Cagliari:
- Cagliari segway tour
- Top sights of Cagliari tour
- 2-hour sightseeing bike tour
- Tuk tuk tour in the center of Cagliari 4 district and flamingo spotting
- Cagliari easy tour
- Private walking tour with a local guide
- Cagliari private tour with a local
- Electric bike naturalistic tour
- Half day private sightseeing tour
My Recommendations for the Overall Nicest Hotels in Cagliari — My Top Three Choices
Cagliari Hotels – Overall Best Picks
To be honest, some of my absolute favorite hotels in Cagliari are not even in the four historical districts of the capital city. They don’t even lie by the beach! My favorite hotels in Cagliari, which I’ll outline below, are centrally located; all are within easy walking distance of the top attractions and the best restaurants in Cagliari.
Best Hotel for Business Travelers in Cagliari: T Hotel
T Hotel is quite centrally located, nestled right by the Teatro Lirico and directly in front of the Parco della Musica, which is a quaint park. The T Hotel has stupendously spacious rooms but is most known for its out-of-this-world spa and the luxe lounge bar that mixes up mean cocktails. The public are allowed to access the spa and lounge, so you’re likely to see lots of locals there—not just tourists! I’ve definitely had my fair share of martinis there before…. T Hotel is one of the best hotels in Cagliari for business travelers.
Make sure to read my post 10 Parks In Cagliari You Should Visit.
Best Hotel for Couples in Cagliari: Villa Fanny
Villa Fanny is near the University of Cagliari, very close to the top Cagliari attractions, like the Roman Amphitheater and the Botanical Garden. In fact, it lies only a brief ten-minute stroll from Stampace, the beating heart of Cagliari, where you can check out the best restaurants and bars the city has to offer. Villa Fanny has an extraordinary eye for detail; each room is decorated differently, with artisan furnishings and eye-catching style. There’s also a gourmet restaurant on-site to dine at.
Best Hotel for Budget-Minded Travelers in Cagliari: Hostel Marina
Hostel Marina is located in the very center of La Marina district, an area jam-packed with restaurants, pubs, cafes, and bars. This is one of the best hostels in Cagliari for those looking to socialize and make new friends. Indeed, it does attract a younger clientele. Moreover, Hostel Marina hosts weekly events to keep the good vibes going! As Hostel Marina offers both private rooms and dormitories, if you weren’t looking to sleep in a bunk bed with roommates—don’t worry! Hostel Marina has budget-friendly options for everyone.
Best Airbnb for families in Cagliari: Apartment in Via Firenze
Via Firenze is one of the best residential areas in town, at walking distance from the city center, close to the beautiful Basilica di Bonaria and Monte Urpinu park and at a quick bus ride from Poetto and the other beaches in Cagliari. This apartment is ideal for families and small group of friends, who can make use of the two comfortable rooms, the two bathrooms, kitchen and dining / living room. There even is free parking on the premises – so perfect if you are renting a car.
Click here for the latest rates.
The Nicest Hotels in Cagliari According to Neighborhood and Interests
Where to Stay in Cagliari for History Lovers – Castello District
Do you have a hankering for history and mystery? I hear you, Sherlock. The Castello district is one of the most gloriously historic areas in Cagliari, and just happens to be in one of the most photogenic places in the city. Castello has some of Cagliari’s must-see sites, like the Towers, the Archeology Museum, the Cathedral, and the Palazzo Viceregio. The Castello district lies in the oldest part of the city, on a hill. It is filled with tiny, meandering streets that stream through the area, perfect for strolling and exploring.
One of the difficulties about staying in the Castello is the lack of public transportation. Since Castello has such narrow streets, the buses can’t reach there, and non-resident cars are only allowed access for a few hours a day. That being said, Castello is within easy walking distance of a few bus stops that will lead you to other areas of the city should you wish to go.
In Castello, you’ll find tiny guest houses filled with warm, friendly faces and boutique hotels oozing old-world charm. There are also a lot of self-catering apartments available to rent.
INSIDER PRO-TIP: If you intend to rent a car in Cagliari, make sure you double-check the timetable of non-resident vehicles being allowed in and out of the district. I would recommend utilizing the parking lots by the gates of the Castello, where it’s a lot easier to get in and out of. It will be a short walk to your hotel, though!
My Top Recommendations for the Best Hotels in Castello
- L’Antica Torre is by far the most budget-friendly hotel in Castello. It’s a quaint and cozy little hotel where you’re sure to feel right at home. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Bianca Dimora is an exclusive bed and breakfast where each room is aglow with thoughtful touches. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Relais Santa Croce is set in a lovingly restored historical structure. This hotel has spacious and harmonious rooms, some of which come with expansive balconies offering sweeping views of the Castello district. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Birkin sits mere steps away from the Cathedral. A delectable complimentary breakfast is served daily. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Le Torri is a sweet apartment, perfect for those who prefer to lounge around in comfort, convenience, and style. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Where to Stay in Cagliari for Nightlife Lovers & Foodies – La Marina
La Marina district is a vibrant neighborhood with abundant historical and religious heritage. Once home to the fishermen and traders in Cagliari, La Marina is now home to the best restaurants and bars in Cagliari. I recommend dining at La Pola for mouth-watering seafood paired with a warm ambiance. Or if you’re in the mood for something a little posh, head to Kobuta for the best fusion food in tow!
When talking about Cagliari nightlife, La Marina is always top of the list. It’s multi-cultural, diverse, and chock full of fantastic clubs, pubs, and bars. There is even nightlife for those who don’t want to drink and dance— everything from jazz concerts to book readings.
La Marina is also positively brimming with gorgeous antiquated churches, like the Church of San Francesco da Paola, the Church of Sant’Eulalia, Church of Sant’Agostino, and the Church of Sant’Antonio Abate, to just name a few!
INSIDER PRO-TIP: La Marina is closed to non-resident cars. However, if you have rented a car, there is a large parking lot next to the train station that I recommend using. Another option is parking in the lots that line Roma.
My Top Recommendations for the Best Hotels in La Marina
- B&B Cappuccine is a charming guest house sure to delight all travelers. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Charming Marina B&W is a fabulous Airbnb perfect for a couple. It’s right by S. Eulalia Church. Click here for the latest rates.
- Birkin Marina has enormous rooms styled with modern decor. The rooms are so chic that it seems almost effortless! Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hostel Marina is definitely where to stay in La Marina on a budget. Pinching pennies never looked so good. Hostel Marina is fantastic! Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Regina Margherita is actually one of the most famed hotels in Cagliari. This is a favorite among business travelers as it has all kinds of lavish amenities. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Art Guest House is nestled right at the heart of La Marina. Crisp white linens are paired with artsy furnishings and statement art pieces. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Where to Stay in Cagliari for a Blend of History & Nightlife– Stampace
Stampace is a dynamic district in Cagliari that seems to be a perfect blend of the best the capital city has to offer. There are plenty of sights to see, restaurants to try, and bars to drink at. In terms of history, Stampace used to be where the medieval working class lived. The name Stampace comes from an adage, “stai in pace,” meaning, “go in peace.” It was a farewell to those who were tossed out of Castello. How’s that for a little taste of Cagliari historical fun facts?
I’ve always loved walking around Stampace, meandering through the alleys and soaking up colorful buildings and narrow streets. The ancient Roman amphitheater is also located in Stampace. Any trip to Cagliari isn’t complete without seeing this blazing example of history!
INSIDER PRO-TIP: Each year, there is an epic parade (Sant’Efisio parade) that occurs on May 1, which actually begins here in Stampace. If you’re planning a trip to Cagliari around the end of April to the beginning of May, make sure to book far in advance to get a great hotel to observe all the festivities below!
My Top Recommendations for the Best Hotels in Stampace
- Hotel Flora is a modern hotel that has spacious rooms filled with spectacular antique furnishings. There is also a delicious restaurant inside to enjoy. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Antico Corso Charme is a delightful bed and breakfast. Each morning an exceptional breakfast is served. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- LuxurYenne B&B prides itself on having chic rooms with classic decor. Some rooms come with balconies that afford guests lovely views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- La Dolce Cagliari is one of the newest guesthouses in Stampace, with freshly refurbished rooms and a charming vibe. Click here for the latest rates.
- Cagliarifornia is a small bed and breakfast in Stampace that you’re sure to love. Warmth abounds at Cagliarifornia. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Where to Stay in Cagliari for Families – Villanova
Villanova is usually where I recommend people to stay if they are traveling with their family but still want to stay inside the historic city center. It’s the quietest and most peaceful of all Cagliari’s historic districts, yet still within a few minutes’ walk of the top sites in Cagliari. You won’t be trekking far to get anywhere! Restaurants, cafes, and sightseeing is all at your fingertips in Villanova.
Founded in the 13th century, peasants from the surrounding countryside around Cagliari began moving into this area to take advantage of new business opportunities. Entrepreneurs— come one, come all! This always makes me laugh thinking about 13th-century business options…
Villanova is also home to some of my favorite churches in Cagliari. My absolute favorite church is San Giacomo. San Giacomo was built in the Gothic-Catalan style around the year 1360. It sits right at the foot of Castello and at the end of two of Cagliari’s most famous shopping streets—Via Sulis and Via Garibaldi. Another beautiful place to visit there is the Cloister of San Domenico.
While the two shopping streets can get quite busy, overall, Villanova is a tranquil and subdued district, where you can find a peaceful oasis in the heart of Cagliari.
Keep in mind that there is very limited access to Villanova by non-resident cars. However, there are a few large parking lots right outside the district to utilize.
INSIDER PRO- TIP: Need groceries? The Mercato di San Benedetto is the largest market in the capital city and the perfect place to stock up on all kinds of goodies! Villanova is just a stone’s throw away from Mercato di San Benedetto.
My Top Recommendations for the Best Hotels in Villanova
- Acasamia is right on one of the main shopping streets. It’s a small apartment but fully equipped with everything to make your stay a comfortable one. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- This lovely Airbnb is in Via Giardini, one of the nicest streets in Villanova. It is perfect for a family or a group friends, and fully equipped for a perfect stay. Click here for the latest rates.
- BB22 Bed and Baking is a truly lovely apartment. It is fully equipped, and you’re sure to feel right at home. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Lucenova is a heavenly bed and breakfast with distinctive rooms— some even have a jacuzzi. When does a bubble bath not sound good? Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Biddanoa is an exceptionally cozy bed and breakfast right in the heart of Villanova. You’re sure to have a pleasant stay and feel like your every need has been attended to. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Apt Is Fradis is an apartment that I would recommend for couples, but not for families. It’s small but fully equipped with all you need. Click here for the latest rates.
Where to Stay in Cagliari for Nature Lovers – Poetto
Are you in dire need of a hefty dose of nature? How does easy access to the beach, the trails, and a nature reserve sound? Poetto is for you.
Poetto is just a ten-minute drive from the city center and easily accessed by public transportation. With eight kilometers of sandy shoreline, Poetto is the main beach in Cagliari. You’ll find locals enjoying Poetto beach in all seasons, year-round, whether they are jogging along the path that runs parallel to the sand or lounging on a sunbed with a book. Poetto Beach is one of the best parts of Cagliari.
There are also lots of cafes and restaurants to enjoy on Poetto, perfect for soaking up some sunshine and crisp Mediterranean air. The cafes and restaurants on Poetto cover the spectrum from opulent and extravagant – like the Oasis – all the way to casual and funky, like the Twist.
Right behind Poetto Beach is a little lagoon and nature reserve where rare birds, including pink flamingos, gather. Seeing the flamingos never gets old!
As a side note, fairly close to Poetto is Calamosca, another incredible beach in Cagliari that has rewarding hiking trails.
TIP: All the restaurants, shops, stalls, and vendors are open for business during peak tourist season in the hot summer months. However, if you’re planning a stay in the winter, most businesses will be shut down in Poetto. Just a few local restaurants and bars will be open daily— make sure to call ahead to see if your eatery of choice is open!
Check out my complete guide to Poetto here.
My Top Recommendations for the Best Hotels in Poetto
- La Villa del Mare is a cheerful hotel decked out with marine-style décor – anchors, paddles, nautical rope, you name it! This hotel is right on the shoreline and gives guests lovely views of the sea. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Appartamento sulla spiaggia al Poetto is a lofty apartment ideal for families or couples. Click here for the latest rates.
- Hotel Nautilus is a modern hotel with a garden, bar, and a complimentary breakfast buffet. It’s the perfect hotel to stay in Cagliari for a true beach vacation. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Chentu Lunas is mere steps away from Poetto Beach. The hotel has a warm, welcoming, and homey vibe. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
I hope you found my top recommendations for the best hotels in Cagliari helpful! I would love to hear which Cagliari accommodation option you chose— let me know in the comments below!
Further readings about Cagliari
Make sure to read my other posts about Cagliari:
- The 7 Best Beaches In Cagliari
- Where Is Sardinia?
- Where To Stay In Sardinia: The Best Areas And Hotels
- The Most Unique Airbnbs In Sardinia – With Prices!
- How To Get To Sardinia: Routes From Italy And Europe
- What You Should Know Before Traveling To Sardinia
- 15 Great Things To Do In Cagliari, Sardinia
- Where To Find The Best Pizza In Cagliari
- Where To Stop For A Coffee In Cagliari
- Cagliari Nightlife: A Guide To Cagliari Best Bars
- The 15 Best Beaches In Sardinia