Are you looking for good hotels in Cagliari? Look no further!
If you are planning a holiday in Cagliari, you will be happy to know that the capital city of Sardinia offers incredible experiences, from art museums to flamingos! When visiting the sun-soaked capital of Sardinia, it can be challenging to choose where to stay.
That’s why I’m here! I’m a local – I grew up in Cagliari, and this is where I currently live, and since my place is small whenever friends visit me I have to hunt for a nice hotel for them. With time, I have managed to check out a lot of places. So, I’m eager to share with you all my insider tips on the nicest hotels in Cagliari to help you decide on the perfect place to stay.
Continue reading to find your perfect room.
Would you rather stay in an Airbnb? Check out my post The Best Airbnbs In Cagliari.
Overall Nicest Hotels in Cagliari
Some of my absolute favorite hotels in Cagliari are not n the four historical districts of the capital city (Castello, Stampace, Villanova and La marina). They don’t even lie by Poetto beach! Yet, they are all centrally located; within easy walking distance of the top attractions and the best restaurants town.
Best Hotel for Business Travelers in Cagliari: T Hotel
T Hotel is quite centrally located, nestled right by the Teatro Lirico and directly in front of the Parco della Musica, which is a quaint park. It has stupendously spacious rooms but is most known for its out-of-this-world spa and the luxe lounge bar that mixes up mean cocktails. The public are allowed to access the spa and lounge, so you’re likely to see lots of locals there—not just tourists! T Hotel is one of the best hotels in Cagliari for business travelers.
Make sure to read my post 10 Parks In Cagliari You Should Visit.
Best Hotel for Couples in Cagliari: Villa Fanny
Villa Fanny is near the University of Cagliari, very close to the Roman Amphitheater and the Botanical Garden. In fact, it lies only a brief ten-minute stroll from Stampace, the beating heart of town, where you can check out the best restaurants and bars the city has to offer. The hotel has an extraordinary eye for detail; each room is decorated differently, with artisan furnishings and eye-catching style. There’s also a gourmet restaurant on-site to dine at.
Best Hotel for Budget-Minded Travelers in Cagliari: Hostel Marina
Hostel Marina is located in La Marina district, an area jam-packed with restaurants, pubs, cafes, and bars. This is one of the best hostels in Cagliari if you are looking to socialize and make new friends. Indeed, it does attract a younger clientele. Moreover, Hostel Marina hosts weekly events to keep the good vibes going! As Hostel Marina offers both private rooms and dormitories, if you weren’t looking to sleep in a bunk bed with roommates—don’t worry! Hostel Marina has budget-friendly options for everyone.
The Nicest Hotels in Cagliari By Neighborhood
Castello – Best for History Lovers
Do you have a hankering for history and mystery? The Castello district is one of the most gloriously historic areas in Cagliari, and just happens to be in one of the most photogenic places in the city. This district has some of Cagliari’s must-see sites, like the Towers, the Archeology Museum, the Cathedral, and the Palazzo Viceregio. It’s the oldest part of the city, on a hill. It is filled with tiny, meandering streets that stream through the area, perfect for strolling and exploring.
One of the difficulties about staying there is the lack of public transportation. Since Castello has such narrow streets, the buses can’t reach there, and non-resident cars are only allowed access for a few hours a day. That being said, it is within easy walking distance of a few bus stops that will lead you to other areas of the city should you wish to go.
In Castello, you’ll find tiny guest houses filled with warm, friendly faces and boutique hotels oozing old-world charm. There are also a lot of self-catering apartments available to rent.
INSIDER PRO-TIP: If you intend to rent a car in Cagliari, make sure you double-check the timetable of non-resident vehicles being allowed in and out of the district. I would recommend using the parking lots by the gates of Castello district. It will be a short walk to your hotel.
Best Hotels in Castello
- L’Antica Torre is by far the most budget-friendly hotel in Castello. It’s a quaint and cozy little place where you’re sure to feel right at home. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Bianca Dimora is an exclusive bed and breakfast where each room is aglow with thoughtful touches. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Relais Santa Croce is set in a lovingly restored historical structure. It has spacious and harmonious rooms, some of which come with expansive balconies offering sweeping views of the Castello district. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Birkin sits mere steps away from the Cathedral. A delectable complimentary breakfast is served daily. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Le Torri is a sweet apartment, perfect for those who prefer to lounge around in comfort, convenience, and style. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
La Marina – Best For Nightlife Lovers & Foodies
La Marina district is a vibrant neighborhood with abundant historical and religious heritage. Once home to the fishermen and traders in Cagliari, it is now home to the best restaurants and bars in Cagliari. Head to Kobuta for the best fusion food in tow!
La Marina is multi-cultural, diverse, and chock full of fantastic clubs, pubs, and bars. There is even nightlife for those who don’t want to drink and dance— everything from jazz concerts to book readings.
This neighborhood is also positively brimming with gorgeous antiquated churches, like the Church of San Francesco da Paola, the Church of Sant’Eulalia, Church of Sant’Agostino, and the Church of Sant’Antonio Abate, to just name a few!
INSIDER PRO-TIP: La Marina is closed to non-resident cars. However, if you have rented a car, there is a large parking lot next to the train station that you can use. Another option is parking in the lots that line Via Roma.
Best Hotels in La Marina
- B&B Cappuccine is a charming guest house sure to delight all travelers. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Birkin Marina has enormous rooms styled with modern decor. The rooms are so chic that it seems almost effortless! Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hostel Marina is definitely the best budget option. Pinching pennies never looked so good. Hostel Marina is fantastic! Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Regina Margherita is actually one of the most famed hotels in Cagliari. This is a favorite among business travelers as it has all kinds of lavish amenities. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Art Guest House is nestled right at the heart of La Marina. Crisp white linens are paired with artsy furnishings and statement art pieces. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Stampace – Where to Stay in Cagliari for a Blend of History & Nightlife
Stampace is a dynamic district in Cagliari that seems to be a perfect blend of the best the capital city has to offer. There are plenty of sights to see, restaurants to try, and bars to drink at. This was where the medieval working class lived. The name Stampace comes from an adage, “stai in pace,” meaning, “go in peace.” It was a farewell to those who were tossed out of Castello.
I’ve always loved walking around Stampace, meandering through the alleys and soaking up colorful buildings and narrow streets. The ancient Roman amphitheater is also located in Stampace.
INSIDER PRO-TIP: Each year, there is an epic parade (Sant’Efisio parade) that occurs on May 1, which actually begins in Stampace. If you’re planning a trip to Cagliari around the end of April to the beginning of May, make sure to book far in advance to get a great hotel to observe all the festivities below!
Best places to stay in Stampace
- Hotel Flora is a modern hotel that has spacious rooms filled with spectacular antique furnishings. There is also a delicious restaurant inside to enjoy. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Antico Corso Charme is a delightful bed and breakfast. Each morning an exceptional breakfast is served. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- LuxurYenne B&B prides itself on having chic rooms with classic decor. Some rooms come with balconies that afford guests lovely views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- La Dolce Cagliari is one of the newest guesthouses in Stampace, with freshly refurbished rooms and a charming vibe. Click here for the latest rates.
- Cagliarifornia is a small bed and breakfast in Stampace that you’re sure to love. Warmth abounds. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Villanova – Best Area for Families
Villanova is the quietest and most peaceful of all Cagliari’s historic districts, yet still within a few minutes’ walk of the top sites in Cagliari. Restaurants, cafes, and sightseeing is all at your fingertips there.
Founded in the 13th century, peasants from the surrounding countryside around Cagliari began moving into this area to take advantage of new business opportunities.
Villanova is also home to some of my favorite churches in Cagliari, San Giacomo – built in the Gothic-Catalan style around the year 1360. It sits right at the foot of Castello and at the end of two of Cagliari’s most famous shopping streets—Via Sulis and Via Garibaldi. Another beautiful place to visit there is the Cloister of San Domenico.
While the two shopping streets can get quite busy, overall, Villanova is a tranquil and subdued district, where you can find a peaceful oasis.
Keep in mind that there is very limited access to Villanova by non-resident cars. However, there are a few large parking lots right outside the district to utilize.
INSIDER PRO- TIP: Need groceries? The Mercato di San Benedetto is the largest market in the capital city and the perfect place to stock up on all kinds of goodies! Villanova is just a stone’s throw away from Mercato di San Benedetto.
Best places to stay in Villanova
- Acasamia is right on one of the main shopping streets. It’s a small apartment but fully equipped with everything to make your stay a comfortable one. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- BB22 Bed and Baking is a truly lovely apartment. It is fully equipped, and you’re sure to feel right at home. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Lucenova is a heavenly bed and breakfast with distinctive rooms— some even have a jacuzzi. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Biddanoa is an exceptionally cozy bed and breakfast right in the heart of Villanova. You’re sure to have a pleasant stay and feel like your every need has been attended to. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Apt Is Fradis is an apartment that I would recommend for couples, but not for families. It’s small but fully equipped with all you need. Click here for the latest rates.
Poetto – Where to Stay in Cagliari for Nature Lovers
Are you in dire need of a hefty dose of nature? How does easy access to the beach, the trails, and a nature reserve sound? Poetto is for you.
Poetto is just a ten-minute drive from the city center and easily accessed by public transportation. With eight kilometers of sandy shoreline, this is the main beach in Cagliari. You’ll find locals enjoying Poetto beach in all seasons, year-round, whether they are jogging along the path that runs parallel to the sand or lounging on a sun-bed with a book. Poetto Beach is one of the best parts of Cagliari.
There are also lots of cafes and restaurants to enjoy, perfect for soaking up some sunshine and crisp Mediterranean air. The cafes and restaurants on Poetto cover the spectrum from opulent and extravagant – like Le Palmette – all the way to casual and funky, like the Twist.
Right behind Poetto Beach is Molentargius Nature Reserve, a lagoon where rare birds, including pink flamingos, gather.
As a side note, fairly close to Poetto is Calamosca, another incredible beach in Cagliari that has rewarding hiking trails.
TIP: All the restaurants, shops, stalls, and vendors are open for business during peak tourist season in the hot summer months. However, if you’re planning a stay in the winter, most businesses will be shut down. Just a few local restaurants and bars will be open daily— make sure to call ahead to see if your eatery of choice is open!
Check out my complete guide to Poetto here.
Best places to stay in Poetto
- La Villa del Mare is a cheerful hotel decked out with marine-style décor – anchors, paddles, nautical rope, you name it! This hotel is right on the shoreline and gives guests lovely views of the sea. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Appartamento sulla spiaggia al Poetto is a lofty apartment ideal for families or couples. Click here for the latest rates.
- Hotel Nautilus is a modern hotel with a garden, bar, and a complimentary breakfast buffet. It’s the perfect place to stay in Cagliari for a true beach vacation. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Chentu Lunas is mere steps away from the beach. The hotel has a warm, welcoming, and homey vibe. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Further Readings About Cagliari
Make sure to read my other posts about Cagliari:
- The 7 Best Beaches In Cagliari
- Where Is Sardinia?
- Where To Stay In Sardinia: The Best Areas And Hotels
- The Most Unique Airbnbs In Sardinia – With Prices!
- How To Get To Sardinia: Routes From Italy And Europe
- What You Should Know Before Traveling To Sardinia
- 15 Great Things To Do In Cagliari, Sardinia
- Where To Find The Best Pizza In Cagliari
- Where To Stop For A Coffee In Cagliari
- Cagliari Nightlife: A Guide To Cagliari Best Bars
- The 15 Best Beaches In Sardinia